Half Marathon Mama!

Half Marathon Mama!
SBI Half Marathon, November 10, 2012

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Race Virgin---well, sort of...


I was a little intimidated by the race experience. I ran one race years ago with a friend. It must have been a 5K and it may have been in high school. I really can't remember the details (clearly) but I'm sure I loved it, I'm a sucker for starting and finishing something and then 'checking it off my list'. 
So, feeling a little unsure about what to expect on the day of the HALF, I decided to sign up for a local 5K. The race was in April and I had been 'training' since January. I ran the 3.1 miles the Sunday before to check my speed and endurance. That run felt great so I was more concerned about learning the routines and procedures of running a competitive race.

It was quite an adventure for the whole family. I was so nervous and as my husband will attest to, I am NOT fun to be around when I am feeling out of my element or if I don't know what I am supposed to do. I figured it out fairly quickly though. Show up early, pin your number on, warm-up, and then run. Oh, and make sure to use the bathroom a few times before you head to the starting line. I definitely felt out of place with all of the runners in their uber-cool gear and special gadgets. I looked like a softball player and I was totally stressed about what I was supposed to do with the tab at the bottom of my bib number. Leave it on or tear it off? Such important questions!!! I figured it out and settled in to let the adrenaline take over.

So, with my hubby and three kids in the cozy car, I headed to the start line to give it my best shot. It was pretty chilly (for Santa Barbara) and windy too. I wasn't sure what to do about my sweatshirt and how to deal with the hordes of people. Basically, they told us to start and I moved along with the group.  I was feeling pretty good and decided I liked how it felt to 'pick people off' as I kept a solid pace. The course was very smooth and along the beach. Perfection. I held tough the whole way and was happy to see the water station at mile 2. It was an out and back course so I knew it would be a good finish. I tend to push myself hard at the end of a race and found some speed to finish with a time of 26:51...it felt amazing, especially seeing my family and unexpected friends at the finish line! What a rush! I was hooked...and no longer a virgin ;)

P.S. We left the race festivities pretty quickly because my three lovely children were tired, freezing, and whiny...surprise, surprise! I guess they didn't get the memo that this was "MAMA TIME". Needless to say, we didn't stay for awards but when I checked the posted times later, it turned out that I had PLACED SECOND in my age group!!! WHAT??!!? Cray-Cray! I think all the fast runners had signed up for the ten-miler that day, LOL.

Moral of the Story: DO NOT let the whiny little ones take you away from the experience of a race day.
I have made sure to stay as long as I want at every race since that first one and my kids are starting to get used to the program...they are my biggest fans :)
Minda sent me the cute photo email later that day, see what I mean about my kids? Lovely...


No comments:

Post a Comment